There is certainly no ‘forcing’ in music therapy, our program will be designed according to your wishes/goals.
You do not need any musical experience to participate in music therapy, it is available for everyone
There is a huge evidence base for both music and art therapy that is growing year by year.
Session length can vary depending on age and other factors, this can be discussed during the assessment. 45 minutes and 60 minutes are the most popular session times.
This depends on your specific needs and goals.
Music Therapy is a broad intervention with a wide range of applications. One definition could be the therapeutic use of music to support health and well-being, using evidence based techniques.
Or, to put it simply, using music for health.
Although we are currently an unregistered provider we still offer items that can assist those in their NDIS journey with our 1:1 sessions!
Charly is a Registered Music Therapist with the AMTA. Skye is independent and is not registered with the Australian Art Therapy body ANZACATA.
Many NDIS participants have used their Social And Community Participation funding for our sessions.
Service providers can choose to register with the NDIS. Becoming NDIS registered is often a long process, so many providers choose not to. They’re known as unregistered providers.
- To use an unregistered provider, your plan must be Plan managed or Self managed. If you are NDIA managed, you can only choose from Registered Providers.
- There are lots of passionate and qualified providers out there who are not NDIS registered. Management of your plan can give you more choice and control over the supports you receive by opening up these providers.
- Accessing unregistered providers opens up many more options and avenues of practice for both parties. We customize our sessions to suit your specific goals and needs.
A healthy mind and a balanced emotional body are vitally important to everyone. Mental health requires constant awareness, attention, and maintenance.
Some people think that only people with mental illnesses have to pay attention to their mental health. But it is true for everyone. Good mental health is essential to creating the life we want.
- Feel mentally fit
- Enjoy life and overcome setbacks
- Balance the mental, physical, social and spiritual
- Go from burden to healing
Art Therapy VS Therapeutic Arts
It’s important to know that In Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong, creative arts therapy is a self-regulating profession so there is no title protection in law. This means there is no restriction on who can call themselves an art therapist or a creative arts therapist. (https://anzacata.org/faqs)
Below is a summary of how the services differ.
- A form of psychotherapy, requires a master’s degree education, extensive clinical supervision & direct client contact.
- Addresses mental illness, trauma, loss, substance abuse, eating disorders, etc. while also enjoying benefits of creativity.
- Can only be facilitated by a professional art therapist trained in psychological counselling theories & techniques.
- Can be facilitated by an artist, life-coach, therapist, creative guide or anyone with basic artistic skills.
- Beneficial for our well- being and is something available to everyone. Does not require a degree.
- Releases emotional tension through self-expression, accesses playful inner child, and enjoy life affirming pleasure of creativity.
At Figment Therapy, Therapeutic Art and Counselling Sessions are facilitated by Skye Harrison to support people to move safely towards their goals.
Skye’s qualifications include:
Master of Communication
Bachelor of Social Science
Diploma of Counselling
Note: If you are looking for an Art Therapist Registered with ANZACATA, visit their website https://anzacata.org/find-a-therapist
When facilitating Art sessions we supply various non-toxic materials. The basic supply is listed below.
Charcoal, Drawing and Colouring Pencils, Pens, Markers
Heavy Weight Drawing Paper, Sketchbook / Art Journal, Magazines on request for scrapbooking / vision boards etc.
Blow Dryer, Assorted Glue, Masking Tape, Paint Brushes, Scissors.
When developing a custom session plan, you can either provide your own project materials or request some to be arranged at an extra cost. This can range from canvases, special brand materials, items of interest you’d like to create art on or with.